Tuesday, October 6, 2009

No Activation Fee!

Today I observed something that happens daily in the pharmacy, and never seems to be acknowledged. Two people, both with insurance, bought the same amount of the same drug. One person's co-pay was $9 for it. The other person's co-pay was $256.13. Only one of them left the pharmacy with their prescription, though they both needed it. They both had their (drastically different) policies through the same insurance provider: Blue Cross, Blue Shield (BCBS does 95% of insurance business in AL. My insurance is with them as well, and my policy more closely resembles the second person. I wouldn't go a day without it, even though it's just slightly more useful than treating disease with injections of infant feces).

I understand how and why insurance companies make decisions about who qualifies for a treatment and how much they should pay. BCBS is a business trying to make a profit. All of this makes sense. That said, it's completely and totally wrong.

It does not matter how much money someone makes or how successful/powerful they are. When it comes to our health, any industry that decides (directly or indirectly) that one person's life is more important than another's is wrong and should not exist.

The ability to treat a person's health is a right that should exist to any human being. Today, at least one person left our pharmacy without a prescription they needed to keep their health where it should be, and this person has health insurance they pay dearly for each month. Something has to change.

- Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I have insurance through my job @ payless.... however my insurance does NOT believe in birth control. So instead of going to my normal doctors I have to drive to the Burton Planned Parenthood just to get cheap BC. Almost a waste of gas. 20 miles on my car and at least $20 for each month. Me = not happy about it.

    ReplyDelete